Tonight several things happened on our walk tonight that reminded me why I love living in a small town so much (Arlington, NE, population: 1243):
1. Walking the eight blocks from our house to Eagle Auto Repair to get our son's car.
2. Rewind: Being able to call said repair shop yesterday to get an appointment for today.
3. Going by the park to see a group of seven elementary students playing a "baseball" game, having fun, and problem-solving without adult intervention.
4. Four different people waving as they drove by...we only knew one of them.
5. The one that we knew drove around the block to come back around to us, pulled up, rolled down his window, and told me how much he enjoys reading my columns in the newspaper (Thanks, Phil! You made my day!)
6. Realizing how much we support our town by doing as much as we can with local business owners.
I really do enjoy being able to walk everywhere in our small town. Even though we don't work here, we love living here. Sometimes I think about wanting to live in a bigger city, but then I remember how much I really do like being where I am.
Sometimes I just need to take a step back and reflect on what I have. And, honestly, I have it pretty darn good.
I'm a lover of life, an eternal optimist, and I have an intense desire to add value through simple living and positive vibes.