Having a birthday allows you time for reflection, enjoying the present, and being excited for the future.
I have done all three today.
Since my birthday is over in a little over three hours, I'm going to spend time reflecting.
1. I am incredibly blessed to have lived an amazing 49 years. I've had super positive experiences and have been pretty darn healthy.
2. With respect to being 49, it's just a number. Your age is how old you feel. Most days I still feel like a kid, unless I'm racing a kindergartner across the playground to line up after recess. Then I feel 49.
3. Seriously though, I don't know why people get so mysterious or freaked out about revealing their age. Be proud and excited to share that you've had so many glorious years. There are so many people who wish they could be you.
4. Getting birthday messages from Nolan and Jaelyn made my day . I'm a very lucky mom to have them as my kids. Whenever I have a day that I wonder if I've done anything right, I step back, think of them, and say, "Yep."
5. As much as I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook, today I loved it. Many wonderful friends and family from near and far took a moment out of their day to wish me a happy birthday. There were some heartfelt messages that were very humbling. I only hope I truly measure up to the kindness you bestowed upon me today.
6. I'm still freaked out in the spotlight. I would much rather be in the giving role than receiving. I feel somewhat awkward when I'm wished a happy birthday. I have no idea why. Call it a character flaw.
7. My husband rocks. No, seriously, he does. He applied for a press pass to tonight's NBA game at the Centurylink Center: Bulls vs. Hawks...McDermott vs. Korver. When he applied for it, he didn't think about the date being my birthday. He got the pass and then turned it down. He took me out to dinner instead. NBA games don't get played in our neck of the woods very often. Yeah, he pretty much locked up Husband of the Year on this one.
8. A quiet dinner at Stories Coffeehouse was the perfect birthday dinner date. The atmosphere was quaint, the latte was out of the is world, the dinner and dessert were awesome, and we will definitely be back very soon.
9. My birthday is officially over, but the celebration will continue in about a week when we go out for brunch with our kids. I kind of like it when I get extended birthday fun.
I'm a lover of life, an eternal optimist, and I have an intense desire to add value through simple living and positive vibes.